Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Golf Equipment: Knock-offs Don't Cut It!

People ask me if I just talk about business or do I ever have anything to say about golf?

Well, yes, when someone asks me something about golf I am like every other golfer, I have an opinion.  Now I am not a Professional Golfer so I am not going to tell you how to get rid of that slice, but if you want to talk about equipment and courses or other related items related to golf, I am your man.

Let me take on the issue of golf clubs one more time.  Bottomline: Go for Quality…  What is quality? Well, let me tell you what it is not.  Knock-off clubs.  Every time I see someone playing with a set of Lincolns, the knock off of Callaway’s, iron it reminds me of the Hertz Rental Car commercial when the boss asked his assistance what car he rented, ‘Is it a Hertz?’ and his replay is ‘Not Exactly’.  Well that is what a knock-off is, a golf club that is ‘Not Exactly’ made just like the major manufactures design…and that makes them hit ‘Not Exactly’ like the major manufacturer golf club.

There is a mental factor too consider when using a knock-offs that I think most golfers don’t consider and just go for lower costs when deciding on getting a set.  When I ask someone why they went with the knock-off the reply is usually related to being a cheap-skate and explain the purchase with a remark on not being able to play much golf so I don’t want to invest too much into something I don’t get to play very often. 

And then the first time they need to hit a shot a specific distance they say to themselves, ‘I wonder if I had been swinging the real manufacturer’s model if that would have gotten over that ravine?’   Sometime they say it out loud too.  That mental edge is what causes them to not enjoy the game as much as they probably would if they did not have that little bit of self doubt in their equipment.  And this is causing so many business people to quit playing the game because they refuse to invest in golf like they would for their business.

Now, playing a set of knock-offs until you get your swing down or for the first three months is a good Plan B, but starting off with a good set of Used Original Manufacturers would serve you better in getting you to feel the balance of a good manufactured golf club that is not always the case with knock-offs.

Give yourself a chance to get a good start at the game and go for a set of quality golf clubs from the very beginning.

So for my business friends,,,

And for the guys and gals who don’t want to invest in quality because they don’t get a chance of playing much, well, all I have to say is, Have you hear of Business Golf?  Business Golf will get you out more to play golf and will help your business at the same time…  Don’t discount Business Golf the way you do your golf equipment or you will get about the same out of your business as you are getting out of your golf… which is nothing.   Think quality and both your game and your business will do well.

 

Scot Duke,  President of Innovative Business Golf Solutions, provides over 31 years of corporate management experience to helping small businesses improve their marketing strategies. As author of: How To Play Business Golf, Mr. Duke outlines the steps to sucessfully using golf as a business tool.  To learn more about Mr. Duke, IBGS or to purchase How To Play Business Golf visit  www.innovativebusinessgolf.com

 

 

No comments: