Monday, June 19, 2006

E-Mail Etiquette: The Importance of Replying or Responding

I know I can’t be the only person in the world who is not getting replies to my emails.  This is very concerning and perplexing since almost everyone one of my emails is going to someone I know or who knows me professionally or personally.  To get no reply sends me, and I am sure you also, a concerning message.

I don’t send out emails just to be sending out emails.  I save that for Blogging where you can read it and if you want to respond you can, but is not expected.

But emails do several things.  They allow me to manage my time.  Allows the person I am sending it to the ability to manage their time.  It is fast and it documents the conversation for later memory or needs.  Emails; A much, much, much better form of communication than phone calls.

My concern is that if someone does not respond it must be that I am bothering them.  That is the last thing I am intending to do.  I hate SPAM as much as anyone, if not more.  And I hope that my emails are not considered spam.

This brings me to the point I want to make.  There is a certain etiquette that needs to be established amongst people who communicate almost exclusively through email.  And that etiquette is to respect the person’s who sends you an email for the effort they made to communicate with you and let them know immediately if the correspondence was not wanted; was sent at a bad time when there was no time to respond; or is not wanted at all and wishes that the sender would not send anymore emails.   There is no harm telling the sender what you situation is.   It is not seen as being negative (one of the biggest fears people have towards their image as appearing to be negative) to truthfully advise a person to get lost…  Anything….Just respond with something.

 

 

Scot Duke

President

Innovative Business Golf Solutions, LLC.

scot.duke@innovativebusinessgolf.com

www.innovativebusinessgolf.com

 

‘My Blog’ http://businessgolf.blogspot.com 

http://businessgolf.wordpress.com 

 

Author of: ‘How To Play Business Golf’, From The Boardroom To The Fairways…

The best investment you can make for your business…

http://www.innovativebusinessgolf.com/business_golf/cb_order.html

 

 

 

No comments: